A man arrested by Miami Beach police in June in a high-end vehicle theft investigation now faces a federal conspiracy charge after investigators linked him to an alleged multistate operation that shipped stolen Lamborghinis, Bentleys and Range Rovers to Africa and the Middle East.

Hakam Shahin, 30, of Oakland Park, faces one count of conspiracy to transport stolen motor vehicles in a federal case filed Monday, Aug. 17, in U.S. District Court in Newark, New Jersey, according to a federal criminal complaint reported by Local 10.

Miami Beach police arrested Shahin June 26 near the 5600 block of Collins Avenue as part of an investigation into a scheme targeting high-end vehicles being transported between states. The case involved a stolen BMW, the Miami Herald reported. Shahin later faced additional state charges in July.

The local investigation now appears to be one piece of a larger alleged operation involving vehicles stolen from at least seven states.

Stolen luxury cars headed overseas

According to the federal complaint, Homeland Security Investigations agents learned of the alleged operation April 29. Surveillance of a Newark lot the next day revealed a Range Rover stolen from Florida, a Cadillac Escalade stolen from New Jersey and a Mercedes-Benz G-Class stolen from Texas.

By May 1, agents spotted a Bentley Continental at the lot that had been stolen in Florida three days earlier.

The lot was operated by an international shipping and logistics company, according to the complaint. Investigators said stolen vehicles were loaded into shipping containers there, and agents intercepted shipments bound for Togo in West Africa and the United Arab Emirates.

Agents observed Shahin at the lot on multiple occasions, photographing vehicles, according to the complaint. On one visit, investigators said he arrived towing a trailer carrying a Lamborghini Aventador stolen from Florida.

The complaint also identifies vehicles stolen from Michigan, Illinois, Tennessee and New York.

Messages warned about police cameras

Investigators obtained text messages showing a co-conspirator advising Shahin and others to "always avoid" Flock surveillance cameras while driving, according to the complaint.

In an April 30 exchange cited by investigators, a co-conspirator urged Shahin to quickly move a stolen G-Class before it drew attention to the lot. Shahin responded with a photo showing two Newark Police Department vehicles at the site.

The next day, Shahin told a co-conspirator to "keep quiet," warning that someone was providing information to authorities, according to the complaint.

By May 5, a co-conspirator texted Shahin that he was "f---ed" after Shahin sent a photo of a Newark police cruiser behind a stolen Ferrari at the site.

Investigators also obtained group messages involving Shahin, alleged co-conspirators and employees of the shipping company.

Federal case moves to New Jersey

Federal authorities arrested Shahin Friday, Aug. 14. He was being held at the Broward Sheriff's Office Main Jail in Fort Lauderdale on behalf of the U.S. Marshals Service while awaiting transfer to New Jersey.

Shahin also faces nearly a dozen felony charges across two active state cases in Miami-Dade County court. He is scheduled for arraignment on those charges Sept. 8.

The federal case comes as Miami Beach officials continue focusing on auto theft. Commissioner David Suarez has sponsored a recurring City Commission discussion on vehicle thefts.

Anyone with information about vehicle thefts in Miami Beach can contact the Miami Beach Police Department at 305-673-7900 or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at 305-471-8477.